Getting the right type of massage from a portable massager can be difficult – handheld variants can only do so much, and they can’t target large areas of your body. However, massage chairs are hardly portable even though they do a good job at massaging larger areas.
Well, the right solution, in that case, is a massage cushion! They come in a few different forms and sizes, all of them portable and able to massage a large area of your body. You can take them with you on a trip, to work, wherever you want. Take a look at some of the best massage cushions on the market today and see if they’re just the thing you nee
- Massage Cushions – What They are and What They Do
- Where to Buy a Massage Cushion Near Me?
- Comparing the Best Massage Cushions of 2019
- Top 11 Massage Cushions to Buy in 2019
- Massage Cushions – All of the Major Benefits
- The Complete Buying Guide for Massage Cushions
- Massage Cushion FAQ
- In Conclusion
Massage Cushions – What They are and What They Do
If you’re not exactly sure what massage cushions are and how they work – you’ve come to the right place. I’ll try to explain that in as few words as possible.
These are electric massager
These are electric massager which most commonly use multiple massage nodes or a vibrating mechanism covered with fabric and padding – which acts as cushioning, hence the name.
They can come in various sizes, but you’ll most commonly find them as throw-pillow-sized devices or as chair pads, though there are a few other variations out there as well, which I’ll talk about later.
Some massage cushions have a cord, while others use batteries and they can have controls built into them or use wired or remote controllers. There are a lot of other features they can have, including heat, multiple massage modes and so on.
They offer better coverage and a stronger massage than various handheld massagers and are more comfortable, while still remaining portable.
They’re mostly made for use while you’re lying or sitting down and they can provide sufficiently strong massage therapy on their own, without the need to use supplementary devices.
Overall, they’re a good choice if you mostly want to massage yourself at home but sometimes need a portable massager and if you want something stronger and more comfortable than a handheld massager but still not too expensive.
Where to Buy a Massage Cushion Near Me?
If you’re looking for a massage cushion and you want it to be in your lap as soon as possible, this is the right question to ask. But, how to find the right shop?
Well, these days you don’t have to aimlessly walk around the neighborhood to do that. You can just run a search for “massage cushion near me” or “massage cushion shop near me” maybe even “where to buy a massage cushion in my area,” and you’ll get exactly what you want.
But, since you’re already here, why waste time? This map here will give you all that info straight away!
Here you can see all the shops that sell massage cushions close to you. By clicking on one you can see all the info on it, including their phone number, business hours, their website and so on. You can find the right shop and have your massage cushion in a matter of hours!
Comparing the Best Massage Cushions of 2019
If you don’t have the time to read detailed reviews and just want to see how the best massage cushions in 2019 stack up against each other, I’ve got just the thing for you. Take a look at this chart and get all the relevant info in an easy and digestible way. In case you have the time to go into more details, check out the reviews below the chart.
|PRODUCT||TYPE||MASSAGE STYLE||NODES||SIZE||CHECK PRICE|
|Snailax Shiatsu SL-256 Massage Cushion (Best Heating)||Massage Chair Pad||Shiatsu, Kneading, Vibrating||4||26.4 x 5.5 x 18.1 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Snailax AL233 Massage Cushion (Editor’s Pick)||Massage Chair Pad||Shiatsu, Rolling, Vibrating||8||14 x 31 x 17 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Zyllion Shiatsu Kneading Massage Pillow ZMA-13-BK||Massage Pillow||Shiatsu, Kneading||4||13 x 9.5 x 3.5 inches||Check on Amazon|
|SNAILAX Vibration Massage Seat Cushion (Best Vibration Massager)||Massage Chair Pad||Vibration||0||42 x 18.5 x 1.4 inches||Check on Amazon|
|HoMedics, Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion (The Most Customizable Massager)||Massage Chair Pad||Shiatsu, Percussion, Kneading, Rolling||4||29.3 x 17.7 x 7.6 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Homedics 3D Shiatsu & Vibration Massage Pillow with Heat (The Most Comfortable Massage Pillow)||Massage Pillow||Shiatsu, Vibration||4||13.8 x 5.1 x 10.4 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Relaxzen 3D Mesh and PU Massage Lumbar Support Cushion (Best Lumbar Massage Pillow)||Massage Pillow||Vibration||0||4.3 x 13.4 x 12.6 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Etekcity Shiatsu Back Neck Massager with 8 Heated Rollers||Massage Pillow||Shiatsu, Rolling, Kneading||8||13.3 x 4.3 x 8.6 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Viotek Air Comfort Massage Cushion (Best Compression Massage Cushion)||Massage Chair Pad||Compression||0||19 x 18.5 x 22.5 inches||Check on Amazon|
|CINCOM Shiatsu Back Massager with Heat||Massage Pillow||Shiatsu||4||15.5 x 1.2 x 16.5 inches||Check on Amazon|
|yosager Cordless Rechargeable Shiatsu Shoulder Massager (The Most Affordable Massage Cushion)||Massage Chair Pad||Vibration||0||19 x 16.1 x 28.3 inches||Check on Amazon|
Top 11 Massage Cushions to Buy in 2019
Snailax Shiatsu SL-256 Massage CushionBoth a Massager and a Heating Pad
If you want a reliable massager, Snailax is a good company to choose – they’ve made a lot of good stuff, and this is not an exception.
It’s made out of quality materials, and it offers quite an intense shiatsu massage, along with a kneading massage. The seat also has vibration pads built into it, allowing you to massage your buttocks with them.
One of the great things about this massager is the heat function, which can work separately from the massagers, allowing you to use this massage cushion as a massage pad, in essence.
However, there are also some bad things about it – mainly the shape. For most average-sized people, it won’t quite fit right. The massagers won’t reach your neck or shoulders at all, or your lower back, making for quite a lopsided experience.
- There’s a heat option which works quite well and can be activated separately
- Fits most chairs and car seats with ease and comes with a car adapter
- It can give you quite an intense massage
- Offers multiple different massage styles
- Due to its shape, it doesn’t do a good job massaging your lower back
- Can’t quite reach the neck and shoulder area of most people
Snailax AL233 Massage CushionA Strong Full-back Massager
Snailax simply seems to be hitting it out of the park these days with one awesome product after another. This highly adjustable massage chair pad is one of their best so far, and there are a lot of good things about it. For a start, it’s clearly well-made, and it will last for a long time, the materials are high-quality. That kind of justifies the high price in my eyes, as do some of the other features.
The massage nodes are highly adjustable, and there are 8 of them in total – 4 for your back and 4 for your neck. You can adjust the rotation and the distance between the nodes that massage your back. You can also make them focus on one part of your back or on your entire back, depending on what you need.
Most people will be able to fit on it and get a good, strong massage out of it. The only more major issue with it is the fact that the seat is a bit too slippery. You’ll find that your butt is constantly slipping out of it and you might want to use something to cover it so you can be secure on it.
- It’s made out of sturdy materials and built to last
- Able to fit most people between 63 and 70 inches in height
- Good at covering all areas of your back and your neck
- Highly adjustable in order to fit anyone
- There’s a heat function and vibrating massagers in the seat
- The price is a bit too high
- The seat is a bit too slippery, and you can’t sit comfortably on it
Zyllion Shiatsu Kneading Massage Pillow ZMA-13-BKA Small, Adjustable Powerhouse
Here’s a highly versatile massage cushion from Zyllion which has a great shape and size made to fit almost any part of your body – from your back to your neck or even your feet, you can use it to massage anything.
There’s an adjustable strap attached to it as well which makes it easy to strap to any body part in order to make sure that you’re getting a focused massage. It comes equipped with 4 massage nodes that can deliver a strong shiatsu massage which is complemented by a heat functions which you can feel in your bones!
You can’t quite use it when you’re resting, however, since it makes quite a lot of noise. If you were planning to drift off into a light nap while using it, you’re out of luck. A more pertinent issue with it, however, is the cord. The thing detaches so easily, and it’s extremely short, and you have to be careful when using it.
- Has adjustable straps which make it easier to use
- The size and shape are ideal for use on most body parts
- Comes with a heat function that isn’t just lukewarm
- Delivers a deep and intense massage
- The power cord is short and too easy to detach by accident
- It makes a ton of noise when it’s working
SNAILAX Vibration Massage Seat CushionStrong and Effective Vibration Massage
While this Snailax massage chair pad doesn’t quite have the same power and functions as their other products, it’s still worth buying. In fact, I’d say it’s almost a steal at a price this low!
It’s incredibly comfortable and soft, and it works well too! You can massage your upper back, middle back, lower back or thighs all at once, or separately. The 6 powerful massage motors can deliver vibrations of impressive strength, and you’ve got 4 intensity settings to choose from.
You can use it anywhere, and it comes with a car adapter, allowing you to use it while you’re driving to work. However, it doesn’t fit well on most car seats, and the size is a bit awkward. It can also be quite loud, so you can’t use it just anywhere. If you want to use it in an office space, you should probably reconsider.
- The heat function is good and strong
- It’s highly affordable and lasts for a long time
- Massages multiple zones of your body, separately or at the same time
- Made out of incredibly soft and comfortable plush material
- Comes with a card adapter
- A bit too loud when it’s on higher intensities
- Doesn’t fit well on most car seats
HoMedics, Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage CushionThree Massage Styles in One
If you want a massage chair pad that can deliver a lot of different massage styles, HoMedics has got you covered! With this adjustable massage cushion you can get three different massage types in one – percussion, kneading and rolling.
That’s not all though! You can also choose to massage your lower back, upper back, middle back, whole back or any targeted spot along your back! It’s also got a heating function which works well and can heat you up properly.
It’s all easy to control with the included wired controller, allowing you to do almost anything with just the press of a button. You can’t make it fit just anyone, though, since the size is a bit awkward – if you’re even slightly taller than an average person, it will fit you poorly.
Besides that, everything is fine – the cord is a bit short, but that’s about it.
- Highly adjustable, allowing you to choose from different massage styles
- You can target a spot on your back for ultimate pain relief
- The massage can be quite intense
- Comes with a good heat function
- The size is definitely not right for people who are even a bit taller than average
- The cord is a bit too short, and there’s no car adapter
Homedics 3D Shiatsu & Vibration Massage Pillow with HeatAs Comfortable as a Real Pillow
Never before has a massage pillow felt so much like a real, comfy pillow than with this HoMedics product! However, that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in terms of massage features.
There are 4 strong shiatsu massage nodes inside of it, there’s a vibrating option as well, and you can also turn the heat up if you want to! You can adjust all this with the integrated controls on the side of the massage cushion.
The controls are a bit too easy to press by accident, though, so be careful when you’re using it. It’s also a bit inconvenient to press them if you’re using the cushion on your feet or lower back while sitting, for example.
The only other major problem is the plug – it’s a bit non-standard and can’t be used with most common care adapters, so you’re out of luck if you want to use it while traveling.
- Comes with a lot of different massage options available
- Comfortable and feels almost like a real pillow
- The massage is fairly and intense and penetrating
- Sturdy, heavy and definitely more than durable enough
- It’s too easy to press the controls by accident
- The plug is non-standard and can’t be used with a car adapter
Relaxzen 3D Mesh and PU Massage Lumbar Support CushionPerfectly Shaped for Your Lumbar Region
This massage cushion from Relaxzen is made to be a perfect fit for your lumbar region, like no other massage pillow out there. It’s covered with black mesh and foam padding, making it incredibly comfortable even when it’s not turned on.
Inside the comfy exterior are two strong vibration massage motors that can deliver a strong or light massage for your sore lower back. Using it with any chair or car seat is easy, and it comes with a car adapter included. It fits perfectly, and it is incredibly supportive.
Besides massage, you can also use it for heating since the heating function can be activated separately – it effectively doubles as a heating pad because of it.
The price is great for what you get, but it’s noticeable that the quality of the build is a little lower because of it. If you’re not careful with it, the foam will start falling out within a few months. While the integrated controls on it are fine in theory, they are a bit too easy to press by accident – and hard to press on purpose, since you can’t find them by touch.
- Made to fit your lumbar region and support it properly
- Easy to use anywhere, fits most chairs and comes with a car adapter
- A heating function is included and can be used separately
- The price is low and affordable for most people
- The foam starts spilling out after some use
- Integrated controls can easily be pressed by accident and are difficult to find
Etekcity Shiatsu Back Neck Massager with 8 Heated RollersSmall but Incredibly Powerful
With an impressive assortment of 8 heated massage nodes, this small massage pillow is a godsend for massaging your neck and shoulders, as well as your back. These rollers can move in different directions, independently, giving you a true feeling of a 3D massage, as close as possible to getting it from a real masseuse as you can get with a massage cushion.
You can easily control the intensity – there are two levels available – and you can turn the heat on or off depending on how you like it. It’s even usable in the car with a car adapter included in the incredibly affordable package.
There are a few notable issues with – the worst of which is the cord. It’s relatively short, and it disconnects too easily, which can be a safety hazard, not to mention that it interrupts your massage. The only other problem is that it can be too strong for some, so don’t get this as a present for your grandma, for example.
- Has 8 massage nodes that can massage you from all possible angles
- Comes with a strong heating function
- The price is incredibly affordable for what you get
- Comes with an adapter for use in your car
- The cord disconnects too easily for the main unit
- The massage can be a bit too intense for comfort
Viotek Air Comfort Massage CushionThe Best Compression Massager
This massage chair pad for Viotek is a bit different than the other ones I talked about until now. It doesn’t use the same type of massage that most do – so no vibrating or massage nodes. Instead, it uses airbags to deliver a strong compression massage.
There are four different massage modes available, allowing you to focus on different areas of your body and hit all of the important pressure points.
Setting up the massager is easy, and it comfortably fits on most chairs or car seats. It comes with a car adapter so it’s easy to use it while you’re driving and it can’t disrupt you as much as other massagers might.
You might expect a massager that only uses air bags might be quieter than most and this time, you would be wrong. It’s quite loud overall so be aware of that. It also doesn’t have a heating function which you might have come to expect for massage cushions.
- Comes with a lot of different massage modes
- Can be used in your car and comes with a car adapter
- Made out of quality materials with a non-slip design
- Setting it up is easy, and it is able to fit most chairs and car seats
- The price is more affordable than you might expect
- It’s louder than you would expect since it only uses inflatable bags
- No heating function included
CINCOM Shiatsu Back Massager with HeatThe Best Massage Pillow for Chairs
This shiatsu massage pillows from CINCOM has a surface that’s a bit larger than the average massage pillow – but that’s a plus in my book since it’s able to massage a larger area of your back while still being portable.
It’s not too thick though, so it can fit on most chairs or car seats. It comes with a car adapter too so you can use it on the go if you want. You’ll find it to be rather comfortable and the materials use to make it are soft and won’t irritate your skin. There’s enough padding that you won’t even feel the nodes when it’s not turned on.
When it’s turned on, though, you’ll definitely hear it quite a lot since it’s rather loud. You won’t be able to use it just anywhere because of that.
The cord is also poorly made – short and disconnects too easily, so you’ll find your massage interrupted if you move around too much.
- It can cover a larger area than the average cushion which is great for your back
- Comes with a car adapter for easy use on the go
- The materials used to make it are comfortable
- Has a heating function included
- The motors inside of it are definitely too loud for comfort
- The cord gets disconnected too easily
yosager Cordless Rechargeable Shiatsu Shoulder MassagerThe Most Affordable Massage Chair Pad
For a vibrating massager, this one sure looks quite high tech – and it certainly is. It comes equipped with 5 strong vibrating massage motors that can massage your entire back and neck as well as your thighs.
There are 8 different massage modes that you can choose from on the wired controller and 3 levels of intensity. It even has a heat function, and you can activate it without the vibrations.
It’s comfortable overall, and the materials use to make it are fairly durable. It fits taller people as well, and it can easily be placed on most chairs or car seats – you do get a car adapter with it. However, there are always some problems, and one of the main ones here is the flimsy cord that breaks easily and is too short.
You might also find that the massager smells quite bad when you first get it and the smell will stick to you. It’s that cheap plastic smell you’re probably familiar with. Let it air out for a few days before using it.
- The cost is simply a steal for what you get
- It’s highly adjustable and offers lots of different massage modes
- Easily able to fit taller people
- Fits well on most seats and comes with a car adapter
- Comes with a heat function that can be used separately
- The power cord is a bit too short and flimsy
- There’s a strong plastic smell to the massager when you get it
Massage Cushions – All of the Major Benefits
While massage cushions aren’t as good as getting a massage from a real masseuse, they are far from useless. There are a lot of benefits that they can offer you, both large and small and here are some of the most important ones to consider.
One of the most common reasons for seeking a massage is for pain relief – and most people that do get a massage for that purpose, come back to have another one.
That’s not just a coincidence or placebo since massages have been confirmed to reduce pain from various conditions, including neck pain, lower back pain, menstrual pain, postoperative pain, cancer-related pain, injury-related pain, chronic conditions like arthritis and so on.
While massage cushions can’t deliver an experience that’s exactly the same or as equally beneficial as a regular massage is, they’re not far behind when it comes to the pain relief they offer.
This is achieved in a few different ways. Massaging can remove knots from your muscles and relieve the tension in them, thus reducing the pain felt from the constant strain they’re under. This can also help release trapped nerves, which might be causing pain.
Massaging also improves blood circulation, allowing your tired and sore tissues it get more oxygen and nutrients, which helps them recover faster, reducing the pain you feel as a side-effect.
It’s also been proven that massaging helps promote the release of certain chemicals in your body that make you feel good – endorphin, dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin, among others. Some of them have proven analgesic effects stronger than morphine, and they help reduce the pain you’re feeling.
There’s more than just that, but these are all the major ways in which getting a massage helps reduce the pain you’re feeling. These benefits increase even more if you regularly get a massage and the best way to do that is if you have a massager that you can use almost anywhere – which is just what a massage cushion is.
While pain relief is one of the top reasons why people get massages, relaxation is THE main reason for it. It’s not strange, considering that the incredible relaxing effects of a massage have been long-proven. Even those that argue that massages don’t do anything to help with pain relief wouldn’t argue with the fact that a massage relaxes you.
However, the type of relaxation that a massage provides goes far deeper than what you would get from lying in your bed or lounging in your living room.
When you’re getting a massage, your body starts releasing more neurotransmitters associated with happiness and good mood, like dopamine, serotonin, and endorphin. On the other hand, the production of chemicals like cortisol – the hormone associated with stress – is reduced.
Due to this, massages can help with depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, and similar conditions. By getting a massage at the same time every day, you’ll be training your body to regularly feel good and relaxed at a certain time, allowing you to unwind more easily than ever. With a massage cushion that’s easier to do than ever.
Massaging can expand your arteries, veins, and capillaries, leading to improved blood circulation. A massage achieves this either with heat, which expands the muscles and blood vessels or by resolving muscle knots which might keep your blood vessels pinched.
Improved blood flow can help you recover faster from injuries, infections and the like since your tissues will be receiving more oxygen and nutrients. It will also help you recover faster after exercise, for example.
This can also help prevent muscle atrophy from occurring when you’re inactive due to an injury or illness and allow your muscles to get back in shape in less time. The lowered blood pressure can also have long-term beneficial effects on people suffering from hypertension.
However, the circulation of blood is not the only thing improved by the massage – the flow of fluids through the system of lymph nodes is also greatly impacted. When lymph fluid builds up due to injuries, infections, cancer, and other problems, manually draining the fluid with a massage can help a lot. It’s called manual lymphatic drainage.
Stimulating the lymphatic flow can also help boost your immune system and reduce the amount of toxins in your body, making you feel better overall. It also helps when dealing with conditions like fibromyalgia, lymphedema, arthritis and so on.
The Complete Buying Guide for Massage Cushions
Massage cushions are different from most other types of massagers and finding a good one can be a bit tricky, to say the least. I’ll give you a few pointers on that which should help you pick the right one for you.
1Discover Your Type
Roughly speaking, there are only two different types of massage cushions. This should, in theory, make your choice easier but it’s not as simple as it might seem at first glance.
You’ll find these massage cushions all over the place. They’re the size of throw pillows and can be used to massage various parts of your body, though most people usually use them to massage their neck and back. They most often use massage nodes or vibration pads.
These come in different subtypes suited for various body parts. There are massage pillows that are made for the back neck, while others are more curved and made to fit your lumbar region better. There are others yet that are intended for your legs or even your feet.
Massage Chair Pads
Shaped roughly like a chair, these pads are made to fit onto an office chair or a similar object, like a sofa or a car seat, and massage you while you’re sitting on it. They’re not meant to be used standalone, though they can be.
Most of them use massage nodes in combination with vibration pads and rollers. Sometimes, they also use airbags for compression massage. They come in various sizes and can massage your whole back, while some models also massage your neck, head, and even your thighs.
It’s difficult to say if these devices fall into the category of massage cushions – some people would say they’re a category of their own. However, others do think they’re massage cushions so I thought I might as well include them.
As you can probably guess, these are large mats that can be laid on the floor or on the bed and which have massagers built into them. Some are made only for massaging one side of your body while you’re lying on them, while others have ‘sleeves’ for your arms and legs which massage them.
2Gauge the Shape and Size
Massage cushions come in many different sizes and shapes – picking the right one can be a bit difficult. However, if you use a few principles to guide you, you should be able to pick the one you need.
First things first – how large is the area you want to massage? If you want to massage your whole back, you’ll probably need a large cushion, but if you just want to massage your neck, a smaller one will do.
Where do you want to use it? If you want to use it around the house, getting a larger one can be a good idea since it will be able to massage a larger area without being cumbersome. However, if you want to take it with you on trips, try to get one that will take up as little space as possible.
Do you need it for massaging a specific area or do you want it to be more versatile? Some massage cushions are shaped to fit a specific area, like your lumbar region, but that can make them less useful for other body parts. Others conform less to certain body parts but can be used for almost any part of your body.
There’s a lot to consider so pick carefully.
3Which Styles of Massage Does it Offer?
There are many different massage styles out there, and massage cushions can offer a few different ones. Here are some of the most common ones and the benefits they can offer.
This type of massage, originating in Japan, uses pin-point pressure along with heat to focus on pressure points. Massagers using this technique are the best at simulating the feeling you would get from a real massage. It’s one of the best massage styles for stimulating your blood flow.
Deep tissue massage
If you want to reach the deeper layers of your muscles, this is what you want. It’s one of the best things for helping you recover from injuries and can strengthen your muscles while providing more long-term pain relief.
Similar to kneading dough, this massage kneads your muscles and straightens them out. It’s one of the best techniques for dealing with muscle knots and easing any tension you might feel.
Using rollers instead of nodes to pinch parts of your muscles and roll them around like a masseuse between their hands, this type of massage is the best for improving the flow of fluid through your lymph nodes.
Usually considered to be the weakest type of massage, it is not without its benefits. It is great for sensitive tissues and can be used even when stronger types of massage can’t. It’s also quite good for staving off muscle atrophy.
This type of massage usually uses air pressure with airbags that are inflated and deflated in order to simulate the pressure of a masseuse’s hand on a large are of your body. It’s great for increasing the blood flow in small blood vessels in your skin.
4Get the Functions You Need
There are many different features that massage cushions can have, despite their small size. Some are common and almost expected while others are quite unique but can be incredibly useful.
This is one of those functions that are almost expected for a massage cushion and basically all massagers that offer a Shiatsu massage. It is great for simulating the feeling of a real massage and helping to improve your blood flow by dilating your blood vessels.
Timers and programs
These features allow you to stop the massage after a certain time. Some can even be programmed to switch between different massage styles at certain intervals, allowing for endless customizability.
If you want to always use the same setting, some massagers will be able to memorize them, and you can just recall them with the press of a button — no need for fiddling around with settings every time.
Some massage cushions will offer the options of electrotherapy in addition to massage. This can be an incredibly useful tool for pain relief, and it’s definitely worth considering.
There are massage cushion and chair pads which offer the option of cooling you rather than heating you. This can greatly benefit people who have injuries that can be exacerbated by heat and need a cold compress to treat them but can also benefit from a massage. It’s not something you can get from a masseuse, for sure.
Having a remote control to change the settings on your massager can be incredibly useful, especially if you’re using it to massage your back, and you can’t reach the controls that easily, or if you’re at your desk and don’t want to stop what you’re doing and twist around to press a few buttons.
This is a simple but useful feature, allowing you to transport larger massage cushions with ease.
5How to Clean Your Massage Cushion
Most people that have a massager of any kind struggle with finding a good way to clean them. There are plenty which choose to just not clean them at all – which is a bad idea since they can easily become a hotbed for bacteria, especially if more than one person uses them.
However, cleaning a massage cushion is easier than you might realize – you just need to have the right approach to it.
- First make sure your massage cushion is turned off, unplugged and that it cooled off completely if you were using some sort of heat functionality that it has.
- Next, take a mild detergent – mild dish soap or hand soap will do just fine – and mix in a few drops of it in a medium-sized container full of water. Avoid stronger detergents, especially those with acidic components since they can damage the upholstery and the mechanism of the massage cushion.
- Take a clean cloth and dip it in water, then wring it out until it’s only slightly damp. Use it to gently wipe down the parts of your massage cushion that were in direct contact with your body. Don’t let water drip onto the cord, the controls or any other areas which might lead the water to get to the insides.
- Once you’re done with that, take another clean cloth, a dry one, and use it to wipe the massager until it’s completely dry. You can also use that cloth to wipe any parts of the massager you couldn’t wipe with the damp cloth.
This should be your regular cleaning routine at least once per week, though it is recommended to do this after every use, if possible.
If you happen to spill something on your massage cushion, you shouldn’t worry too much. Just try to wipe it off with a dry, clean cloth as soon as possible. To avoid any stains you should wipe it down with some detergent after that, but try not to wipe too hard.
That’s about all there is to it – see, it’s not too hard.
Massage Cushion FAQ
I’ve talked about massage cushions a lot today, but even so I couldn’t cover everything there is to know. Still, I hope what I could offer helped you at least a little bit.
Now, there’s just one thing left – to tell you what I think is the best massage cushion available right now.
For me, it has to be the Snailax AL233 Massage Cushion due to its incredible reliability and tons of great functions. It’s probably the best thing you can get right now when it comes to massage cushions.
However, I think that the HoMedics, Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion isn’t trailing far behind, with its incredible ability to use multiple massage modes and great adjustability.
If you’re looking to buy something on a budget, though, you should probably keep your eye on the yosager Cordless Rechargeable Shiatsu Shoulder Massager. While it’s not a shiatsu massager, it has some great functions, and it’s incredibly cheap for the quality on offer.
Tell me what you think in the comments below – I’d like to hear from you, especially if you disagree. I’ll see you there and in the next article.
- Sherman KJ, Cherkin DC, Hawkes RJ, Miglioretti DL, Deyo RA (2009) Randomized trial of therapeutic massage for chronic neck pain [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19333174 (Accessed March 13, 2019)
- Jamie E, Debra RW (2019) How to perform a lymphatic drainage massage [Online] Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324518.php (Accessed March 13, 2019)
- Giampietro LV, Sayers JM, Nicole MM, William EB (2009) Systematic Review of Efficacy for Manual Lymphatic Drainage Techniques in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation: An Evidence-Based Practice Approach [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755111/ (Accessed March 15, 2019)
- Susan LKY, Luciana AM, Amelia PM (2015) Effectiveness of different styles of massage therapy in fibromyalgia: A systematic review and meta-analysis [Online] Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1356689X14001829 (Accessed March 16, 2019)
- Mori H, Ohsawa H, Tanaka TH, Taniwaki E, Leisman G, Nishijo K (2004) Effect of massage on blood flow and muscle fatigue following isometric lumbar exercise [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15114265 (Accessed March 15, 2019)
- Mars M, Maharaj SS, Tufts M (2005) The effect of compressed air massage on skin blood flow and temperature [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16211126 (Accessed March 14, 2019)
- HF Coelho, K Boddy, E Ernst (2008) Massage therapy for the treatment of depression: a systematic review [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK75521/ (Accessed March 15, 2019)
- Karen JS, Evette JL, Andrea JC, Rene JH, Peter PR, Susan B, Marissa ZB, Daniel CC (2011) Effectiveness of Therapeutic Massage for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Trial [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922919/ (Accessed March 14, 2019)
- Mahshid G (2013) Durability of Effect of Massage Therapy on Blood Pressure [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3733180/ (Accessed March 12, 2019)
- Mahshid G, Masoumeh S, Mohammad G, Ameneh E, Mahin M, Zahra G (2018) Long-term effect of massage therapy on blood pressure in prehypertensive women [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5903169/ (Accessed March 11, 2019)
- nccih.nih.gov (2008) Massage Therapy May Ease Pain and Improve Mood in Advanced Cancer Patients [Online] Available from: https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/110608.htm (Accessed March 14, 2019)
- Laura A (2016) Case Study: The Use of Massage Therapy to Relieve Chronic Low-Back Pain https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5017818/ [Online] Available from: (Accessed March 24, 2019)
- Mahboubeh V, Niloofar G, Parvin B, Reza H (2010) The effects of massage therapy on dysmenorrhea caused by endometriosis [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3093183/ (Accessed March 14, 2019)
- Mitchinson AR, Kim HM, Rosenberg JM, Geisser M, Kirsh M, Cikrit D, Hinshaw DB (2007) Acute postoperative pain management using massage as an adjuvant therapy: a randomized trial [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18086982 (Accessed March 14, 2019)