There never seems to be enough space on the bed, especially if you’re sleeping with someone else on it. And then your kid comes in during the night, crying and wanting to sleep with you in the bed. Squeezing them in on even a queen-size mattress can be difficult.
So, what can you do? Upgrade to a king-size mattress, of course!
These are mattresses truly fit for a king, among the largest out there and able to easily accommodate three people. Check out the best king size mattresses right now and see if one of them is the right pick for your bedroom!
- How Large is a King-size Mattress? Is it Right for Me?
- Where to Find a King-size Mattress Near Me?
- A Comparison of the Best King-size Mattresses on the Market
- Top 12 King-size Mattresses Available in 2019
- The Benefits of a King-size Mattress
- King-size Mattresses – 4 Things to Consider When Purchasing
- Mattress Cleaning and Care 101 – All the Tips and Tricks
- Mattress FAQ
How Large is a King-size Mattress? Is it Right for Me?
While ‘King Size’ is a relatively standardized term these days, not all king-size mattresses have the same size. Confused? Well, that’s to be expected. Different manufacturers have slightly different standards when it comes to their mattress sizes so they can vary by a few inches here and there.
The differences are even more significant in different countries. A king-size mattress in the US will be a lot different than a king-size mattress from Europe. This is why you should always be careful when buying online and check the exact dimensions.
Then there are many variants on the standard king-size, which might also be referred to only as ‘king’ in some places. These include the California King, Texas King, Eastern King, Athletic King, King XL and so on.
As I mentioned, there are some differences between manufacturers, even strictly in the US, but those are just a few inches here or there.
The standard king size is usually 76 by 80 inches, and they can be placed on a king size box spring or two connected twin XL box springs. You should check the exact dimensions before you buy a mattress, though. Those few inches can mean a world of difference.
Here I’ll give you a quick overview of which varieties on the king size mattress exist, their sizes and their uses. I can’t cover everything – just the most common ones – but I hope that will be enough.
(72 by 84 inches)
If you need something a bit wider than a standard king but don’t want to go to one of the less standard sizes, this is a good choice. It’s the most popular king variety.
Split King Mattress
(2x 38 by 80 inches)
These are two separate mattresses made to equal one king size mattress in size when put together. They usually come with a frame that can also be separated into two portions. This is ideal if you occasionally need more beds and it allows for more adjustment.
(60 by 78 inches)
In the UK, this is the standard king size, but it is closer to the standard queen size in the US. Be careful to avoid confusion when purchasing in shops with imported good, especially online.
(63 by 78 inches)
This is the standard king size in most other European countries.
(80 by 94 inches)
In case you need a variant that’s both wider and longer by a significant margin, this is it. It’s not that common, but you might be able to find it.
(72 by 78 inches)
A less common European size, this is quite close to the US king size.
There are more varieties out there, but they’re more obscure, and you’re not likely to run into them.
This is a good question since king size mattresses are large, cumbersome and expensive so you need to be sure that you absolutely must have one before you buy it. The most common reason is if you want to have a bed for the whole family – you, your significant other and possibly one kid. A king size mattress is absolutely perfect for that.
If you’re a large individual and want to be able to sleep more comfortably, a king size mattress is a good option. It’s also a great option if you need to move around a lot during sleep – whether due to a condition you have or simply because you’re a restless sleeper.
If you often have guests over and you want to make sure you can accommodate them no matter what, using a king size mattress and bed frame in your guest bedroom is the perfect thing. In general, if you need more space in your bed, a king size mattress is what you need.
Where to Find a King-size Mattress Near Me?
Finding the right mattress can be difficult – especially if you’re ordering online. Ideally, you’d want to go into a shop and try it out, see it for yourself. That way you can also have the mattress in your hose as fast as possible instead of waiting for long delivery times. However, finding the right shop can be quite a chore at times.
Luckily, these days it’s easier than it was before. There was a time when you had to ask around the neighborhood, but now there’s an easier way. You can just run a search from “buy a king size mattress near me” or “mattress shops near me” and so on. That will give you what you want, or at least something close to it.
Or, you could just check out this interactive map that already shows you exactly that!
Here you can see all of the shops that sell king size mattresses near you, and you can click on each shop to get some basic info about it. But, how do you know which shops are good ones and which are not? Here are a few tips on that matter.
The first thing to do is try to go to the website of the shop you want to buy your mattress at and check it out. If they don’t have a website that’s already a big red flag – unless it’s a small shop, then it can be fine.
The website of a good mattress shop should contain all the info you might want to know. Their contact info, their business hours, the items they have in stock, their current prices, available pricing models, warranties and so on.
Websites that look outdated or lack important info are a bad sign as well – it shows that the company doesn’t care about presenting themselves to you in the best light possible. Moreover, they don’t care about keeping their customers informed.
The best mattress shops will offer a lot of good deals and extra services along with their mattresses. Free delivery is always good, for example, as is the ability to buy your mattress in monthly installments.
You should also always check the warranties they offer. Do they allow you to return the mattress if it’s bad and will they give you your money back? Will they replace a bad mattress or repair it? How long is the warranty period?
It’s important to consider all of this in order to find the best mattress shop and get the best deal for yourself.
When you click on one of the shops on the map, you should see some Google reviews for the shop from customers who visited it. Looking at the average reviews and reading a few of the good and bad ones can give you a decent idea of how good the shop is.
Of course, experiences and preferences differ between customers so make sure to read a few different reviews to get a good idea of what the possible problems are and if they would be important to you.
For smaller shops, it might be a bit difficult to find a lot of good, credible reviews but larger shops will certainly have a ton, and you should read as many as you can.
A Comparison of the Best King-size Mattresses on the Market
If you don’t have the time to read all of my detailed reviews, I’ve compiled some of the most useful info about the best king size mattresses right here in this chart. Take a look and see what you like.
|Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, King (The Best Budget King Mattress)||Foam||Green Tea Memory Foam, Airflow High-density Foam||12 inches||80 x 76 x 12 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Classic Brands Cool Gel 1.0 Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress with BONUS 2 Pillows, King (The Most Breathable King Mattress)||Foam||Gel-infused memory foam, plush cover||14 inches||80 x 76 x 14 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Casper Sleep Mattress – Bed in a Box - King (The Best King Mattress in a Box)||Foam||Latex foam||10 inches||80 x 76 x 10 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattresses - Medium Feel - Cal King (Best Budget Hybrid King Mattress)||Hybrid||Memory foam, metal springs, plush cover, gel infusions||8 inches||80 x 76 x 8 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Olee Sleep 13 Inch Box Top Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam Innerspring Mattress (King)||Hybrid||Heat treated coils, memory foam, gel foam, Poly Jacquard fabric||13 inches||80 x 76 x 13 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Amerisleep AS3 12" Memory Foam Mattress (King) (The Most Versatile King Mattress)||Foam||Bio-Pur™ memory foam, celliant-infused cover||12 inches||80 x 76 x 12 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Flash Furniture Capri Comfortable Sleep 12 Inch Foam and Pocket Spring Mattress, King||Hybrid||Gauge springs, fabric, foam, felt, metal, polyester||12 inches||81 x 75.5 x 12 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Tuft & Needle King Mattress, Bed in a Box (Editor’s Pick)||Foam||T&N adaptive foam||10 inches||80 x 76 x 10 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Nectar King Mattress + 2 Free Pillows (The Best King Mattress for Back Pain)||Foam||Gel memory foam||11 inches||80 x 76 x 11 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Live & Sleep Mattress Classic King Mattress - 10 Inch||Foam||Memory foam, flex linen||10 inches||80 x 76 x 10 inches||Check on Amazon|
|King Mattress, Sweetnight 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress in a Box||Foam||Zoned gel memory foam, rayon cotton fabric||10 inches||80 x 76 x 10 inches||Check on Amazon|
|DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, King Size (The Most Breathable King Mattress)||Foam||Gel foam, Art Cool Airflow foam, cotton cover||12 inches||80 x 76 x 12 inches||Check on Amazon|
Top 12 King-size Mattresses Available in 2019
All these mattresses have earned their place on today’s roundup for a reason. Now, we’ll examine them in detail and show you their pros & cons, the sensation they bring, and the value for the money. Read on and help yourself get a better buying decision!
Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, KingThe Most Comfortable Budget King Mattress
Zinus is a brand well-known for the comfort their mattresses provide and this one is clear proof of that reputation.
The comfort on offer here is undeniable with a nice, soft 3-inch layer of memory foam on the top of it supported by 2 inches of comfort foam and two 3.5-inch layers of airflow high-density foam.
This is all wrapped in a fairly durable and comfy cover made out of knitted jacquard. The green tea infusion is supposed to make it smell nice and provide antibacterial properties, but the smell is bad once you first get it and it takes a week or two to go away.
However, it does expand quickly once you take it out of the box, unlike some other beds in a box.
The only major issue with it is that it sleeps hot so you might feel a bit hotter than usual on it, especially in the summer months. Overall, I’d say this is probably the best king mattress under 500 dollars, and it’s definitely worth the price.
- The price is just great for what you get
- Highly supportive and can withstand a lot of weight with ease
- Extremely comfortable and soft with a great casing
- It expands relatively quickly once you take it out of the box
- It’s relatively sturdy, and the materials are good
- When you first get it, there’s a bad smell that takes a while to disperse
- You’ll definitely get hotter than usual while sleeping on it
The Cool Gel is a well-known mattress line from Classic Brands and, as the name says, it uses gel foam in its construction to provide you with amazing comfort.
The best thing about the gel foam used for this mattress is just how breathable it is. If you sleep hot and tend to sweat a lot, this is the right mattress for you. It will make you feel cooler, and it barely absorbs any moisture, so it stays dry.
It’s also a highly supportive mattress – it’s 14 inches thick so it can support a ton of weight and you won’t sink into it too much. However, this also makes it rather hard and if you’re a lighter person you’ll probably think that it’s too stiff.
Another possible issue is the fact that it moves a lot so you’ll definitely feel your partner getting up in the middle of the night. Still, it’s quite a decent mattress for the price, and you even get two extra pillows stuffed with shredded memory foam. Not a bad deal overall and it’s worth checking out.
- Highly breathable and great if you tend to sleep hot
- Comes with two bonus pillows of good quality
- Thick and highly supportive, able to handle a lot of weight
- Produced with durable materials that ensure it will last for a long time
- Comes at a relatively decent price for what you get
- It feels too hard and stiff for lighter people
- The motion transfer on it is quite bad
Casper Sleep Mattress – Bed in a Box – KingThe Proven Classic
One of the best manufacturers around right now, Casper has certainly proven themselves, and their signature mattress is still as good as ever.
The secret is in the way it’s made – the open cell layer helps promote better airflow which leads to the mattress feeling cooler and remaining dry even if you’re sweating a lot.
Despite what you might think about a mattress full of holes, it’s actually quite durable and made with decent materials. The construction is great, so it won’t just fall apart after a few years.
It’s also highly supportive, and it can withstand an immense amount of weight. However, that also makes it a bit too hard and firm for some people’s liking, so I suggest you try it out beforehand.
Overall, there’s not a lot to complain about here, except the price – it’s definitely higher than most other similar mattresses, but it’s up to you to determine if it’s too much.
- The open cell structure promotes airflow and keeps you cool
- Made out of durable latex foam
- Highly supportive and you can put a lot of weight and pressure on it
- Durable materials and solid construction with good stitching
- The price is rather high for a mattress like this
- It’s a bit on the harder and stiffer side
Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattresses – Medium Feel – Cal King The Best Budget Hybrid King Mattress
Hybrid mattresses have proven their worth over the years, and they’re more than just an expensive gimmick now. This mattress does well at proving that point. It’s more affordable than most for a start, but it also combines some of the best aspects of both innerspring and foam mattresses.
The overall design with pocketed coiled springs allows for air to flow better and makes you feel less hot while you’re sleeping on it. On the other hand, the memory foam layer allows it to conform to your body and makes it more comfortable.
It’s sturdier than both foam and innerspring mattresses, and it is bound to last for years and years. However, it’s only got a thickness of 8 inches which means you might feel the springs through the foam sometimes.
The edge support is also non-existent. Don’t try to sleep on the edge or you’ll just fall off almost immediately. Overall, it’s a good hybrid for the money and more than just a gimmick, but it does have a few kinks that need to be worked out.
- Sturdy and able to last for years on end
- The hybrid design helps the air flow easily, and you won’t feel hot sleeping on it
- The price is highly affordable for a hybrid mattress of this quality
- More than firm and supportive enough while conforming to your body shape
- It’s only 8-inches thick, and you can feel the springs through it sometimes
- There’s almost no edge support at all
Olee Sleep 13 Inch Box Top Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam Innerspring Mattress (King)The Best of All Worlds
This mattress is a unique combination of independently encased coils, gel foam, and a hollow design which allows it to perform well in almost every way.
While it provides great support due to the coils made out of tempered steel, it is still comfortable due to the layers of memory foam and fabric. It’s also got a layer made out of gel foam which helps it remain breathable and stops it from getting too hot for comfort.
The stitching on the outside is great, and the whole thing appears to be highly durable overall. However, you might experience some sagging after a while – it can’t handle a lot of weight, even though it’s thick.
One of the worst things about it is that it smells a lot when you get it – you should air it out for a few days. However, even then you might find that it smells a bit.
For the most part, it’s a decent hybrid mattress for the price but only get it if you don’t weight a lot.
- Made with high-quality materials which ensure its longevity
- Extremely comfortable due to a top layer made out of soft fabric
- Supportive due to the high-quality coils made out of tempered steel
- The price is more than affordable enough for a mattress like this
- There’s a strong chemical smell when you first get it
- It starts sagging after a relatively short while and can’t take a lot of weight
Amerisleep AS3 12″ Memory Foam Mattress (King)A Highly Versatile Foam Mattress
If Amerisleep is to be trusted, the AS3 is probably their most versatile mattress, and it’s clear to see why. It’s a great mix of support and softness combined with a cooling layer designed for breathability.
It’s 12 inches thick overall, so it’s able to withstand a lot of weight, but it also remains fairly comfortable. It’s firm too so it will be able to properly support your body and won’t get any dents.
However, it might feel a bit too firm for some, especially lighter people.
It’s well-made overall and made in the USA – everything is top-notch, and it is not one of those mattresses that fall apart after a few months of use.
That does come at a high cost though, and this mattress will set you back quite a bit. However, sometimes it’s worth paying for quality, and this is definitely it.
- It’s quite high on the firmness scale and offers good support
- Thick and easily able to withstand lots of weight
- Durable construction, good stitching, and quality materials
- Great edge support so you won’t fall off the bed
- Stays relatively cool even in the summer months
- It might feel a bit too hard for some
- The price is incredibly high for what you get
Flash Furniture Capri Comfortable Sleep 12 Inch Foam and Pocket Spring Mattress, KingThe Best King Mattress for Couples
While this mattress comes from a lesser known brand, that’s no reason to discount it straight away, and it does deliver on a few points quite well.
One of the best things about it is the amazing motion isolation – the other parts of the mattress barely move when you get up. If you’re sleeping with someone who’s restless, this is a great mattress for you.
It’s also quite thick so it provides a lot of support and can withstand a good amount of weight. The edges are not as supportive as the rest though, so watch out.
The top of it is quite soft and comfy, and the casing is great, but the top layer of foam is not thick enough to stop you from feeling the springs sometimes, which is a minus.
Overall, this is a great affordable mattress for couples, and you’ll feel much better sleeping on it with someone who tosses and turns a bit.
- It has great motion isolation, so you won’t feel your partner getting up
- The thickness is great, and it provides a lot of good support
- Incredibly soft and comfortable due to a great casing
- Great durability overall with good-quality springs and stitching
- The price is simply a steal for what you get here
- You can definitely feel the springs a bit since the foam layer is thin
- The edge support is rather poor compared to the rest of the mattress
Tuft & Needle King Mattress, Bed in a BoxBest Foam King Mattress
If you’ve heard of foam mattresses, you’ve probably heard of Tuft and Needle, and their use of adaptive foam in their products has been downright revolutionary.
This mattress in a box also uses adaptive foam which is able to give you a comfortable but supportive feeling no matter your weight. It also helps you to sleep cool and minimizes motion transfer – it does almost everything!
The best thing about it is that even if you and your significant other have different preferences regarding firmness and softness, this mattress will be able to fit you both.
However, steer clear of the edges – they’re not nearly supportive enough.
When you unpack it, it expands fairly quickly, and it will be full-sized in less than a day. The smell of a new mattress does linger for longer than that though – maybe even weeks.
Personally, I’d say this is probably the best king mattress under 1000 dollars, and it is worth every penny. Try it out and see for yourself.
- Made out of high-quality materials and manufactured in the US
- It can be both firm and soft and able to fit different sleepers at the same time
- The motion transfer is minimal, and you’ll have no trouble with that
- Sleeps cool even during the hotter periods of the year
- The price is more than decent for what you get
- Smells horrible when you unpack it and the smell can linger for weeks
- The edges aren’t as supportive as they should be
Nectar King Mattress + 2 Free PillowsBest King Size Mattress for Back Pain
This mattress from Nectar is just amazing, and it’s probably one of the best mattresses around for help with aches in your back – let’s take a look at why that is.
It is able to conform to your body while still supporting you, thus allowing your spine to get into natural alignment, which helps relieve your pain both short-term and long-term.
However, this also means that it’s quite firm in order to be able to properly support people with back pain problems – if you don’t have them, it might be a bit too hard for your liking.
When you unbox it, there’s no horrible smell – which is a nice surprise. Sadly, it does take a long while to expand to its full size – it can take up to a week, which is not how long you want to wait to use your new mattress.
Overall, I’d say that this is the best king mattress for back pain and if that’s a problem you have, it’s worth every penny you spend on it, despite some issues it may have.
- Conforms to your body while still remaining sufficiently supportive
- Doesn’t come with that ‘new mattress’ stink that most mattresses have
- It comes with two free pillows of good quality
- Breathable and it sleeps cool for the most part
- It is slow to fully expand after you unbox it and it can take days
- You might find it to be too hard if you’re not suffering from back pain
Live & Sleep Mattress Classic King Mattress – 10 InchThe Best King Mattress for Latex Allergies
This mattress uses visco-elastic foam, similar to latex but without the chance of inducing an allergy – it’s perfect for those who have an allergic reaction to latex.
While the material is different, it does offer a lot of the same benefits that latex foam does. It’s breathable, flexible and comfortable while still being supportive enough. This is both due to the visco-elastic foam and a thick layer of high-density support foam.
The entire mattress is around 10 inches thick, which is more than enough to provide adequate support. It can take on a lot of weight, but if you’re lighter, you might feel that it ends up being a bit too firm for your liking.
It’s fairly breathable, and you won’t sleep hot on it, no matter the time of year. The fabric cover is made out of flex linen and feels comfortable while being flexible and bouncy, just like the top layer.
Overall, it’s a good, affordable mattress that’s a great alternative to one made from latex foam, if you happen to have an allergy. Just don’t expect it to last too long – the build quality is not the greatest.
- It has a great fabric cover made out of flex linen
- Comes with a bonus memory foam pillow of good quality
- Doesn’t induce a latex allergy but offers a lot of the same benefits
- Highly breathable due to an open-cell structure
- It can easily handle tons of weight without getting a dent
- For lighter people, it will be a bit too firm
- It’s poorly made and probably won’t last for too long
This great mattress from Sweetnight uses a design based on zoned gel foam to deliver great comfort along with great breathability.
It’s a comfortable mattress too and fairly supportive to boot. It does get dented fairly quickly, but it’s also made to be flappable so it can last for longer than you might think at first if you flip it regularly.
Once you get, it expands quite quickly once outside of the box, and it doesn’t have any nasty smells – the new mattress smell is barely noticeable. The company stays true to their warranty as well, and they offer great customer service is something goes wrong.
Indeed, there’s a strange problem with customers seemingly getting used mattresses with dents already on them. It’s happened only a few times, and the customers got full refunds, but it’s still worth noting.
It’s a decent budget mattress, and it’s worth a look still, but be cautious about it.
- It’s designed to be flappable, so it lasts longer
- No significant off-gassing and the smell dissipates quickly
- Breathable due to an amazing design using zoned gel foam
- The company offers great customer service
- It comes at a relatively affordable price
- Some customers have reported getting used mattresses which is quite odd
- Not too durable and you’ll notice some dents sooner rather than later
DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, King SizeThe Most Breathable King Size Mattress
Dynasty Mattress is a brand known for its great and luxurious products, and this one is truly fit for a king. It uses gel foam combined with Art Cool Airflow foam to provide the best breathability you could get anywhere. You’ll never sleep hot again with this one.
However, that’s not the only good thing it has going for it. The cover is top-notch, made out of high-quality materials, well-stitched and easily washable while being comfortable and looking great.
The mattress itself is highly supportive and firm – might be too firm for some, but that’s a matter of personal preference. It’s great at handling a lot of weight too, so multiple people sleeping on it is not a problem.
It’s durable too, and it won’t be dented any time soon – you don’t even have to flip it regularly.
Overall, it’s good, though there are a few minor problems. It smells a lot when you first get it, and it might smell for more than a month. Also, the edge support is quite poor, so steer clear of the edges when you can.
Otherwise, it’s a great mattress for a fairly low cost.
- The breathability it offers is unmatched, and it stays nicely cool all the time
- You get 2 free gel memory foam pillows along with it, and they’re great
- The cover is soft, durable and easily washable
- Incredibly supportive and good at handling lots of weight
- Durable and not liable to get dents in years
- There’s an incredibly strong chemical smell when you get it that lasts for ages
- The edge support is poor, and you shouldn’t use it for sitting
The Benefits of a King-size Mattress
A king size mattress offers a lot of benefits over smaller mattress sizes, some of which might be a bit surprising. Here are some of the most important ones.
One of the most obvious benefits is the added space, which will allow you to fit more people onto the bed and sleep more comfortably in it no matter which position you sleep in.
It can also be beneficial for people with various conditions – if you need room to accommodate breathing equipment during sleep, or something like a leg brace, a king size mattress will provide more than enough space.
It’s also great if you just need more room to spread out on your own. That’s nothing to be ashamed of if it’s what you need to sleep comfortably.
King size mattresses tend to be made out of higher-quality materials than smaller mattresses, and they tend to be thicker.
This results in mattresses which are far more comfortable to sleep on and can help with back pain or neck pain problems as well as other painful conditions. It can even help with the alignment of your spine.
Overall, even a budget king mattresses will feel better and be more comfortable than some higher cost twin or single mattresses.
With a king mattress, you get more bang for your buck – it’s simple.
They offer a larger sleeping surface for a cost that’s not that much higher, and they’re usually made to last longer than smaller, more disposable single or twin mattresses.
Companies assume that when you buy a king, you want to have it for years to come and they make them with that in mind. It’s not uncommon for a king mattress to last for more than 10 years, which won’t’ be the case with smaller mattresses.
King-size Mattresses – 4 Things to Consider When Purchasing
Shopping for king size mattresses is not always as easy as it might seem and it’s a bit different than shopping for a single or twin mattress. Here are some of the most important things you need to consider in order to find the best king size mattress for you.
The first thing to think about when buying a king size mattress is – which type of mattress do you want? This is going to impact everything else about it, and there are a few common types to choose from.
Made out of various types of foam, these mattresses are made to conform to your body while being light and durable. Their exact properties differ a lot based on the type or types of foam used to make them.
The best of both worlds with metal, coiled springs encased in cotton and placed between layers of foam. These mattresses can be quite good, but they’re usually a bit less durable and more expensive than other types of mattresses.
These are your traditional mattresses, using metal, coiled springs to provide to support the person sleeping on it. They don’t conform well to your body shape and can be uncomfortable, especially if the springs poke through. However, they can also provide more support than most foam mattresses.
Using chambers filled with air, these mattresses are ultra-light and incredibly portable while also having adjustable firmness. They are not s durable as regular mattresses, but they do offer some convenient features.
Often seen as a gimmick, these beds have become more than that in recent times. They can be extremely supportive and highly adjustable – as well as great for therapeutic purposes.
Even mattresses within the same type can use radically different materials in their construction, resulting in a completely different experience.
For example, foam mattresses can be made out of a few different foam types that all have varied properties:
The most affordable choice, this type of foam is used in a wide variety of mattresses as a filler material. It offers good support but it’s not too comfortable, and it can get quite hot. It’s not durable either.
The classic choice which has a bit of a bad reputation these days. It can get quite hot though it conforms well to your body and isn’t too expensive.
This type of foam is made with a process similar to the one used to make rubber. It doesn’t get softer when warm, and you won’t sink into it as much. It also has low motion transfer and is highly durable.
Made using tiny gel beads, this type of foam has an open-cell structure and promotes better airflow, allowing it to stay cooler than most other types of foam. It’s expensive, but it might be worth the cost.
There are other, more specialized types of foam out there, but most of them are just a slightly different take on one of these general types. These types of foam are not used only in foam and hybrid mattresses – they’re sometimes used for extra padding in innerspring mattresses as well.
Springs can also be made out of a few different materials, which can have an effect on the supportiveness and longevity of the mattress.
These days, most mattress springs are made out of tempered steel, which has proven to be both flexible and durable. Some mattresses still use iron or aluminum springs, but these are of lower quality.
Hybrid mattresses sometimes use springs encased in cotton or wool, which are good materials for making sure that the springs stay in place and remain supportive enough.
The outside shell of a mattress can also be made from a wide variety of materials. Cotton is the most common one, and it’s fairly good – inexpensive, durable, easy to wash and natural.
More expensive and luxurious casing materials include wool, plush, latex, silk and so on.
With foam mattresses, the casing is relatively easy to change, and you can buy a new one if it rips, most of the time. With innerspring mattresses, it’s more important to check if the casing is well-stitched and made out of quality materials since it’s difficult to manage if it rips.
The thickness of a mattress is not always the most important thing, but it definitely factors into how good it is at supporting you and how comfortable it ends up being.
The thicker the mattress is, the more expensive it is but it can support you better, and it will be more comfortable. 8-inch thick mattresses are probably as low as you should go for a king size mattress – anything less than that just won’t feel right.
Mattresses that are 10 or 12 inches thick are probably the best choice – they’ll feel good, be supportive enough for multiple people but won’t break your budget.
14-inch to 16-inch mattresses are the most supportive and comfortable overall, but they tend to be extremely expensive. Of course, the firmness and comfort vary based on other factors as well, but the thickness is quite important.
You should also consider the thickness of certain layers. In foam mattresses, the thicker the base layer of foam, the more supportive and ‘hard’ the mattress will feel, but it will probably be less comfortable and breathable.
When it comes to innerspring mattresses, the larger the amount of padding around the springs themselves, the more comfortable the mattress will be, since you won’t feel the springs through it. However, it might feel less supportive.
The last, but not the least important thing is to check out the brand of the mattress you’re buying. Even if a mattress might seem good on the surface, it could be just clever marketing and not much more.
However, if you check out the brand that makes it and it’s reputable you know you have something good on your hand. But there are so many brands on the market right now – how to know which ones are good?
Well, to help you I’ve compiled a mattress brands list that gives you info on some of the most popular brands right now and if they’re good or bad. Take a look.
The 10 Best Mattress Brands Right Now
Tuft & Needle
While this is a relatively new name in the mattress industry, it’s already a household one. They offer a lot of different mattresses and all the accessories that go with them. Their mattresses are made from a special type of foam they trademarked, similar to latex foam.
This is a newer brand created through crowdfunding, but it’s one of the most popular brands selling foam mattresses. They used to be expensive, but now they have a wider range of products suitable for most consumers.
An oldie, but a goodie, this company was started all the way back at the beginning of the 20th century. Coleman offers almost any type of mattress or mattress accessory that you could ask for. They even offer airbeds! They’re reliable and offer good prices with decent warranties.
Started in 2016, this is another crowdfunded brand which rose to become one of the premier foam mattress manufacturers. They’re expensive, but their trademark Purple mattress is said to be one of the best mattresses for sleeping cool.
Mattress Cleaning and Care 101 – All the Tips and Tricks
Most people think that a mattress is just something you lay on your bed and it stays there until it’s time to throw it out. Of course, that’s not the case, and you need to take good care of your mattress to keep it good for as long as possible.
This will also help you avoid common problems like bedbugs, dust mites and more. Here are a few tips about taking proper care of your mattress, so it lasts for years to come. If you want more in-depth tips on mattress cleaning, go here.
The first thing to note is that you should clean your mattress regularly – not just when you think it might have gotten dirty. By cleaning it regularly, you’ll be able to prevent a lot of problems from occurring.
But won’t that take a lot of time? Not at all! It might seem complicated at the outset, but it’s actually simpler than it appears.
- The first step is always stripping it completely and washing all of the bedding, covers, toppers, casings and anything else in the washing machine on at least 130 degrees.
- Next, take the strongest vacuum you have and put the widest brush attachment you have on it and thoroughly vacuum the mattress on all sides. Take off the brush to get into the cracks and corners.
- At this point, if you want to further clean and deodorize the mattress you can sprinkle baking soda over it, let it sit for around 30 minutes to an hour then vacuum it up.
- Finally, you can air out the mattress in the sun, and you should do this at least once per month.
You should also rotate or flip your mattress every three months, if possible.
2Stains and Spills
Occasionally, you’ll have some sort of accident on your mattress, especially if you’re using it for years – it happens to the best of us. If it happens a lot, consider investing in a waterproof mattress cover.
When a spill happens, the first important thing is to act quickly – get a clean cloth and blot at the spill until you pick it all up. Don’t wipe – you’ll just smear it and make a larger mess.
Once you’ve cleaned most of the liquid, you should address them with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of dish soap and 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in one bowl of water. Stir them together and use a toothbrush dipped into the mixture to gently scrub out the stains.
When you’re done, wipe away the excess with a clean, damp cloth.
For biological stains, like blood, urine, feces and so on, use an enzyme cleaner with a clean cloth and blot the stain with it. Leave it for around 15 minutes then blot the area to remove the stain.
Now, use a different clean cloth dipped in cold water to blot the area one final time.
Try to use as little cleaning solution and liquids as possible for a foam mattress since foam shouldn’t ever get wet – it deteriorates extremely quickly once that happens.
Recently, dust mites have become a bigger problem than ever in developed countries and are one of the leading causes of the growing asthma epidemic.
They often tend to hide in small, dusty, moist spaces and mattresses are one of their favorites. How to prevent them from infesting your mattress?
Well, using allergen-proof bedding, mattress covers and vinyl covers for the box spring is a good starting point. Regularly washing your mattress and replacing your bedding is also a good start. Dust-mite resistant mattresses are also an option.
Always wash the bedding in water that’s at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit or more to make sure they don’t take hold.
Using a dehumidifier in your room is also a good idea – it will deprive them of moisture. But what if they’ve already taken hold? How to eliminate them?
Eliminating them completely is not possible, but you can minimize them by doing the same things you would to prevent them from appearing. Wash your mattress regularly, deprive them of moisture and wash your bedding in hot water.
You should also air out your mattress in the sun after washing it since the sun will kill most of them. Vacuuming it with a strong vacuum cleaner is also bound to get rid of most of them.
For some time, bed bugs were seen as a problem that’s not likely to occur unless your hygiene is abysmal, but in recent years it’s more common than you might think.
Since bed bugs can cause all sorts of nasty problems and diseases, avoiding them or getting rid of them as fast as possible is important. But how to prevent bed bugs?
Well, firstly, use protective covers for your mattress and box spring, to leave no hiding spots for the bugs. Vacuum and air out your mattress regularly and wash your linen in hot water.
Be wary if you wash your linen in a Laundromat or you share your washing machine with others. In shared apartments and houses, try to seal off any opening through which the bed bugs might get into your bedroom.
If the bugs are already there though, what should you do then?
- Firstly, clean your entire room and reduce clutter as much as possible. Next, take all your linen and wash it a temperature of at least 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then comes the hard part – dismantling your entire bed frame and checking every inch for bugs. You should also check all the drawers and cupboards in the room as well.
- When you identify infested surfaces, scrub them thoroughly with a stiff brush, then extensively vacuum the entire room. Be sure to vacuum absolutely everything, even the walls. Don’t use bristle attachments and dispose of the bags outside.
- Finally, seal all the holes and crevices where the bugs might hide.
If the bed bugs reoccur after this, you might have to seek professional help or try one of the numerous other bed bug remedies.
Once mold is inside a mattress, it’s almost like a death sentence for it – most people will just opt to get a new one instead of dealing with it. That’s why preventing mold is essential.
The best way to do this is by avoiding liquid spills on the mattress, cleaning them up as soon as possible and airing out the mattress regularly so any moisture trapped in it can properly dry out.
You can also invest in a dehumidifier to make sure your room stays at around 30 percent humidity, so your mattress doesn’t absorb too much moisture. But what if mold is already in the mattress? Well, don’t worry, there’s still hope.
Take off all the bedding, vacuum both sides of the mattress, then mix rubbing alcohol into warm water and dip a clean cloth into it. Use the cloth to rub the moldy areas and when you’re done, rinse the area with another cloth dipped in warm water.
Next, spray a disinfectant over the entire surface of the mattress and then take it out into direct sunshine to air out. That should get rid of the mold, but if it reoccurs, you should repeat the process.
Conclusion – and My Top Picks
This is just about everything I can give you – and I hope all of this info was more than enough to help you find the right mattress for your needs. There’s just one thing left – giving you my personal pick for the best king size mattress you can find right now.
For me, the best king size mattress for the money would have to be the Tuft & Needle King Mattress, Bed in a Box. It’s been a best-seller for years for a good reason – it’s great in almost every regard and doesn’t even cost that much. It’s just a clear winner for me.
If that’s not to your liking, I also think that the Casper Sleep Mattress – Bed in a Box – King is not far behind in terms of quality and comfort as well as support. The only thing that brings it down is the unreasonably high cost.
However, if you’re on a budget, I think the best affordable king size mattress would definitely be the Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, King since it offers a lot of the benefits of more expensive mattresses for a ridiculously low cost.
And that’s it! I hope you enjoyed the article and that I’ll see you again soon! Sleep well until then.
- Bret HJ, Ali B, Doug BS (2009) Changes in back pain, sleep quality, and perceived stress after introduction of new bedding systems [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697581/ (Accessed March 27, 2019)
- Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (2014) Mattresses for Chronic Back or Neck Pain: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK263383/ (Accessed March 24, 2019)
- Fan-Zhe L, Matthew CHC, Pan-Yin L, Chen-Hua Y (2017) Effects of Mattress Material on Body Pressure Profiles in Different Sleeping Postures [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5310954/ (Accessed March 27, 2019)
- Bader GG, Engdal S (2000) The influence of bed firmness on sleep quality [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11059462 (Accessed March 28, 2019)
- Jacobson BH, Boolani A, Dunklee G, Shepardson A, Acharya H (2010) Effect of prescribed sleep surfaces on back pain and sleep quality in patients diagnosed with low back and shoulder pain [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20579971 (Accessed March 26, 2019)
- Jacobson BH1, Wallace T, Gemmell H (2006) Subjective rating of perceived back pain, stiffness and sleep quality following introduction of medium-firm bedding systems [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19674684 (Accessed March 22, 2019)
- Radwan A, Fess P, James D, Murphy J, Myers J, Rooney M, Taylor J, Torii A (2015) Effect of different mattress designs on promoting sleep quality, pain reduction, and spinal alignment in adults with or without back pain; systematic review of controlled trials [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29073401 (Accessed March 22, 2019)
- Enck P, Walten T, Traue HC (1999) Associations between back pain, quality of sleep and quality of mattresses. Double-blind pilot study with hotel guests [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12799934 (Accessed March 27, 2019)
- Hosen H (1976) The relationship of the house-dust mite to respiratory allergy [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/185192 (Accessed March 28, 2019)
- Kabasawa Y, Ishii A, Murata H, Takaoka M (1976) Clinical significance of the house dust mite (Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus) in asthmatic children in Japan [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1037059 (Accessed March 27, 2019)
- Hart BJ (1998) Life cycle and reproduction of house-dust mites: environmental factors influencing mite populations [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10096801 (Accessed March 27, 2019)
- Stephen LD, Doinic ED, Pable FP, Richard CR (2012) Bed Bugs: Clinical Relevance and Control Options [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255965/ (Accessed March 25, 2019)
- Pascal D, Véronique B, Pascal DG, Anna LB, Olivier C, Pierre M, Philippe B (2011) Bedbugs and Infectious Diseases [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3060893/ (Accessed March 24, 2019)
- Stephen WH, Tomislav JS, Iain JDJ, Karl JK, Evie G (2005) Bed Bug Infestations in an Urban Environment [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3320350/ (Accessed March 24, 2019)