Essential oils are great but it seems like they run out in a flash – and they’re usually quite expensive.
That’s where essential oil diffusers come in. They can disperse diluted oils into the air thus making sure your body absorbs them better and they last longer while also making your entire house smell nicer.
If you’ve never bought a diffuser – don’t fear! Today I’ll tell you all about the best ones around.
- Essential Oil Diffusers – The Essentials
- The Benefits that Essential Oil Diffusers Give You
- Best Essential Oil Diffusers of 2021 – A Comparative Chart
- Top 16 Essential Oil Diffusers in 2021 Reviewed
- Your Complete Essential Oil Diffuser Buying Guide
- How to Properly Use and Maintain Your Essential Oil Diffuser
- The Best Essential Oil Brands
- Essential Oil Diffuser FAQ
Essential Oil Diffusers – The Essentials
So, if you’ve never seen or bought an essential oil diffuser, you’re probably wondering what exactly it is and how it works.
Well, essential oil diffusers are basically machines that disperse essential oils into the air – using one of several methods – thus allowing them to spread across the entire room.
That way, you can inhale and more easily absorb essential oils and reap their benefits while having the added effect of a nice smell across your entire room and a load of dead bacteria and fungi.
The name of the machines comes from the name of the dispersing process – diffusion. Diffusion of essential oils can be achieved in a few different ways, some of which don’t even require electricity, which is why many different types of essential oil diffusers exist.
Traditionally, heat was used to diffuse oils or oil mixtures, usually from a candle or a similar source. Sometimes the oils would be absorbed by some medium, like a pot made out of clay, which would then be placed onto mild heat to slowly release the diffused oil into the air.
For the most part, modern essential oil diffusers will look a lot like air fresheners. They can have a wide variety of shapes and looks and can be quite stylish. Some have in-built sound effects, LED lights and more.
Most oils need to be diluted with water or other diluting agents before being placed in the diffuser, for optimum results. That way the smell won’t be too strong and the mixture is easier to diffuse than raw oils are. You typically put the water into the diffuser first and then add a few drops of your favorite oils.
With a diffuser, your oils will last for a longer time, and you’ll get more benefits out of them – which is what I’m going to talk about next!
The Benefits that Essential Oil Diffusers Give You
Diffusers can be a tough sell because essential oils can be used on their own, without a diffuser. However, there are more than a few benefits that diffusers can give you and which you can’t get by using oils directly or are enhanced by a diffuser.
Here are just a few of those benefits.
This is one of the most important benefits that essential oils can provide and with a diffuser you can make it even more effective.
Usually, you would need to massage the oils into the skin or take them with a hot bath to see their effects, but with a diffuser, you can keep inhaling them all day. That way you can get the most out of them.
You also get the added benefit of the oils providing aromatherapy – literally healing you and making your body feel better by introducing a nice smell to the space you’re living in. Using a diffuser is the best way to spread these smells as far and wide as possible.
One of the best benefits that diffusers offer is that they spread the antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal effects of essential oils over a large area. Instead of purifying select areas, you can easily purify your entire room without even breaking a sweat.
The dispersed essential oils can easily get into every crack and even coat your furniture and floors, making the space safer and cleaner than ever before. You just can’t get that without a diffuser.
Since I already talked about aromatherapy, I might as well mention another benefit you get from it – improved sleep quality.
The additional relaxation provided by the smell of essential oils and the benefits they bring can help you sleep better and reduce the effects of your insomnia. You definitely won’t be tossing and turning so much. You definitely won’t be tossing and turning so much.
With a diffuser, you can gain these benefits even while you sleep. Programmable diffusers can keep dispersing the oils in regular patterns while you sleep, thus providing their benefits all-night long instead of just directly before you go to sleep. Sleep on your back to get the most out of it.
Last, but not the least, is that using essential oils helps improve your mood and lifts your spirits. Of course, that’s less true when you have to reach for them all the time, especially if you’ve got them stashed in another room.
Having your space constantly filled with the smell of your favorite oils makes sure you get the most out of them. You can easily have them constantly present in the air while you’re relaxing and you don’t have to move a muscle.
It’s just the perfect thing for feeling a bit better when you’re down and don’t feel like doing anything – like applying the oils yourself.
How to Find Essential Oil Diffusers Near Me?
That is definitely a pertinent question, since not everyone can buy them online or wait for them to arrive for days or weeks on end. If you need an oil diffuser as soon as possible you’ll probably look for a local oil diffuser shop.
But, how do you find one?
Well, it’s rather simple, you can just search for “essential oil diffuser near me” or “essential oil diffuser shop near me” maybe even “buy essential oil diffuser in me neighborhood” and you’ll probably find a shop nearby that sells them.
Or, you can look at this map I made which already does that job for you!
On here you’ll find all the shops that sell essential oil diffusers near you already marked. Just click on one you like, look at their business hours and what they have to offer, choose one you like and you can go there to get your essential oil diffuser right now! It’s incredibly easy to do.
Best Essential Oil Diffusers of 2021 – A Comparative Chart
Short one time? Take a look at this comparison chart then, for a quick overview of all the products and their specs – for my more detailed opinions you can keep on reading!
|URPOWER Essential Oil Diffuser 150ml||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||150ml||4.1’’ x 4.1’’ x 6.1’’|
|ASAKUKI 500ml Premium, Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||500ml||4.8’’ x 6.6’’ x 6.6’’|
|VicTsing Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||150ml||5.1’’ x 5.1’’ x 5.2’’|
|VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||300ml||6.7’’ x 6.7’’ x 6’’|
|URPOWER Essential Oil Diffuser, 400ml||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||400ml||8.4’’ x 6.6’’ x 6.6’’|
|Essential Oil Diffuser by Breathe Essential||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||300ml||6.8’’ x 6.6’’ x 6.6’’|
|ASAKUKI 300ML Premium, Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||300ml||6.6’’ x 6.6’’ x 6.4’’|
|Flowmist Mulcolor Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||250ml||N/A|
|InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||500ml||N/A|
|URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||100ml||3.1’’ x 3.1’’ x 5.5’’|
|URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Plastic||300ml||N/A|
|Diffuserlove MAX 220ML Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Plastic||220ml||N/A|
|URPOWER 700ml Square Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Wood and plastic||700ml||6.4" x 6.3" x 5.5"|
|Viva Naturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser||Ultrasonic||Plastic||100ml||4.4" x 4.4" x 9"|
|Aroma Outfitters 3D Glass Galaxy Premium Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffusers||Ultrasonic||Plastic and glass||200ml||5" x 5" x 6"|
|PUSEAYZ Glass Essential Oil Diffuser 100ml||Ultrasonic||Glass and plastic||100ml||N/A|
Top 16 Essential Oil Diffusers in 2021 Reviewed
URPOWER Essential Oil Diffuser 150mlThe Best Portable Essential Oil Diffuser
For the low price it’s set at, this is a great little diffuser! The size is just right, so you can place it almost anywhere you can think of, and it looks great to boot. You can’t even tell that the price is so low.
It’s also silent and has auto-shutoff feature for when it runs out of water – which is ideal if you want to keep it running during the night to help you sleep better.
If you have pets that like to knock stuff over, don’t fret – it’s sturdy, and it can take a few falls and still stay in one piece.
Disassembling it when you need to clean it is easy too, so you don’t have to hate your life when you need to clean it.
- It works extremely silently, more so than other diffusers
- Relatively small, so it’s easy to find a good spot for it
- Cleaning it is easy since it’s simple to disassemble
- Has an auto-shutoff feature when it runs out of water
- The price is more than affordable
- It’s well made and able to survive a drop or two
- The capacity of the water tank is on the lower side
- The LED lights are barely visible and almost useless
The Best Essential Oil Diffuser for RelaxationAffordable and Versatile
This ultrasonic essential oil diffuser from ASAKUKI is positively huge with a tank of 500ml – but you wouldn’t know it since it looks smaller from the outside and doesn’t take up a lot of space.
The mist it disperses is quite strong, and it can easily cover larger spaces. You can also run it for more than a day without needing to refill it at all, at least on a lower setting.
It lights up rather well too and can function as a nightlight with 7 colors – but you can’t turn the lights off if you need it to be dark.
Overall, it’s great, and the price it comes at is just a steal.
- The multicolored lights are quite bright, especially at night
- Quite strong and produces a lot of mist
- Setting it up is easy, and it can run for a long time without a refill
- The water tank capacity is huge, but the unit isn’t too bulky
- The price is just a bargain
- It’s a bit flimsier than you might expect it to be
- You can’t turn off the light when it’s running
VicTsing Essential Oil Diffuser The Best Essential Oil Diffuser for Killing Bacteria
This is one of the best smaller essential oil diffusers out there, and it comes at an amazing price.
It’s compact and has a relatively small tank at only 150ml, but it delivers a strong stream and can work for up to 5 hours despite its small size.
It features bright lights that cycle through seven different colors and have two levels of brightness. They can also be turned off unlike with a lot of other diffusers where they stay on as long as it’s turned on.
If you don’t like it, you’re secured with a 45-day guarantee – you can get all of your money back and return the product.
- Comes at a great price for the quality on offer
- Has an auto-shutoff feature for added safety
- The lights on it have two different brightness modes, and you can turn them off
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space overall
- You’re secured with a 45-day money back guarantee
- Has a strong stream of mist
- The capacity is relatively small
- The lid doesn’t stay locked on, and you can knock it off by accident
VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist HumidifierThe Sturdiest Essential Oil Diffuser
On the surface, this might look like a slightly larger version of the other VicTsing diffuser, but it’s so much more than just that.
It’s definitely stronger than the smaller version, and it has a larger tank but the size is not much larger, and it can still fit almost anywhere you might want to put it.
The construction is definitely sturdy, and it also has adjustable lights that you can turn off when you don’t want them – like when you’re trying to sleep.
Maintaining it is a breeze – there are no small parts, and it is easily disassembled so you can clean it in a few minutes.
- The stream of mist it shoots out is rather strong
- It has a relatively small footprint compared to the tank size
- Cleaning it is fairly easy since it doesn’t have a lot of small parts
- Clearly made to be sturdy and able to withstand some damage
- The lights are bright and can be adjusted to your liking
- There’s a distinct plastic smell to it that doesn’t go away for a while
- The price is a bit higher than warranted
- Can be a bit too loud for a diffuser
URPOWER Essential Oil Diffuser, 400mlThe Best Essential Oil Diffuser for Pain Relief
This is a nice-looking and highly adjustable diffuser from URPOWER, and it even has a decently large tank to boot. You can keep it running for quite a while before you need to recharge it – almost a full day.
It has a lot of different timer settings, and you can adjust the lights to your liking – set the color, intensity and even turn them off if you don’t’ care for them.
The longest setting is 6 hours, and this diffuser can work for around a day before it needs a refill. If you forget to turn it off, it also has an auto-off feature to help you.
It looks beautiful as well with a sleek, eye-catching design.
- Works quietly even on the highest settings
- Comes with good lights that can be turned off as needed
- The design is sleek and beautiful to look at
- The mist stream it puts out is strong and efficient
- Can work for a long time before it needs a refill
- Has an auto turn-off feature that can save you if you’re running it overnight
- There’s not intermittent setting available on it
- It’s quite tall so you might lack space for it
- The plug for the cord is underneath the base which is quite awkward
Essential Oil Diffuser by Breathe Essential The Best Essential Oil Diffuser with a Humidifier
This oil diffuser is also one of the best humidifiers too – it can work without oils and simply humidify the air. It does a good job of it since it delivers a strong and steady stream of mist.
It can also work for quite a long time – 10 hours at the most, which is good for a machine with a 300ml tank.
Using it and cleaning it is fairly easy and you don’t have to worry about space – it takes up less than you would think.
Overall, it’s more than a decent product for the price, and it will certainly last for quite a while.
- Can be used as a simple humidifier as well
- It can stay turned on for a long time, up to 10 hours
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space for its tank size
- Obviously made to withstand some damage
- Easy to set up, use and clean after using
- You can constantly hear a bubbling sound coming from it whenever it’s working
- Doesn’t have an intermittent setting, only constant settings
ASAKUKI 300ML Premium, Essential Oil DiffuserThe Quietest Essential Oil Diffuser
This premium essential oil diffuser from ASAKUKI runs incredibly quietly – it’s probably the quietest essential oil diffuser I know of.
Despite how quiet it is, the stream it puts out is powerful and it can cover a huge area with ease.
What’s also easy is adjusting it to your liking with a few different timers that allow it to run for up to 12 hours on a 300ml tank, which is impressive.
You can also disassemble it and clean it without much hassle, so you don’t need to worry about that. It’s a premium diffuser at a price that’s far lower than premium.
- You can run it for a full 12 hours even though the tank is only 300ml
- It’s completely quiet when running, not even a small noise
- Makes a lot of mist with powerful sprays
- Easy to use and adjust to your liking
- Disassembling it for cleaning is super easy to do
- The lights stay on as long as the diffuser is turned on
- Beeps when the timer runs out, and it shuts off
Flowmist Mulcolor Essential Oil DiffuserThe Best Essential Oil Diffuser Bundle
You get two great diffusers for the price of one! What’s not to like?
These diffusers are compact and can still work for a long time – 6 hours on the continuous setting and a whole day if you choose the intermittent options. That’s great with a tank that’s only 250ml.
They have strong mist streams and can easily cover even slightly larger rooms.
The look they have is great, and the build is good so they will last for a while. Overall, it’s simply a great deal that you shouldn’t miss out on.
- You get two diffusers for the price of one in this deal
- The stream it shoots out is quite strong
- Has an intermittent setting which allows for better absorption
- Compact and easy to fit into your room
- You can run these diffusers for a long time
- Opening it can be a bit difficult, and the lid can get stuck
- There are no timer settings available
InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil DiffuserThe Best Essential Oil Diffuser for Work
From the outside, this looks like a small essential oil diffuser but inside is a tank that can hold up to 500ml, allowing this bad boy to work for a full day without stopping, or even more.
You can set up the time to get it to work in certain intervals, and you can change the color and brightness of the lights on it and even turn them off if they bother you.
It comes at a great price for a diffuser with a tank that large and it works well while being durable and well-built overall.
- It has a huge 500ml tank that allows it to run for a long time
- 7-colored lights that can be adjusted for brightness or turned off completely
- The price is great for a diffuser of this size
- Takes up relatively little space despite the large tank
- Using it is easy, and it has a few different timer adjustments available
- Has a nice look and a low profile
- It definitely makes a dripping sound when it’s running
- The lid is not secured so you can easily tip it over and spill anything
URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil DiffuserThe Best Small Essential Oil Diffuser
This is a tiny but functional essential oil diffuser that you can get at a decent price and place anywhere in your home.
For its size, it’s quite a powerhouse. It runs for a relatively long time and can reach almost 6 hours of continuous operation.
The mist stream it sprays out is also strong and can achieve quite a lot of distance.
The look it has is great and fits into most rooms.
Despite the price and the low size it can take some hits and keep running – the construction is good, and it will last for a while.
- Great spray power and distance for a unit this small
- The materials are good, and it’s obviously made with durability in mind
- You can run it for a long time for its size
- The look is great, and it makes It stand out from the rest
- It’s compact, and it can fit into most places
- The tank is quite small, and it can’t run for a long time
- It’s noisier than you’d expect something this small to be
- The lights are bright and can’t be turned off
URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil DiffuserThe Best Essential Oil Diffuser with a Nightlight
This is one of URPOWER’s second-generation essential oil diffusers, and it certainly shows when you start it up.
The stream of mist it puts out is quite strong and it can run for a long time on its 300ml tank – around 12 hours at the most. Setting it up and using it is fairly easy and it comes with a good set of instructions.
The light is more than strong enough to function as a good nightlight, but it can still be turned off if you don’t like it or want to go to sleep.
Taking it apart for cleaning is easy, and you can do it in a flash so you don’t have to worry about cleaning out small parts that can get lost – it’s all simple.
- Puts out a good stream of mist that’s more than strong enough
- It has a strong light that can be turned off if you don’t need it
- It can run for almost 12 hours before you need to refill it completely
- Easy to use and set up and comes with good instructions
- Cleaning it is rather simple compared to some other diffusers
- Built to last
- The cord and the vent are awkwardly placed on the unit
- There’s a constant dripping sound coming from it when it’s running
Diffuserlove MAX 220ML Essential Oil DiffuserThe Most Unique Essential Oil Diffuser
This is a diffuser that’s a bit more different than some of the others. The first thing you might notice is the non-standard tank size, but there’s more to it than that.
The best part about it is the remote control that comes with it – now you don’t need to get up to turn on your diffuser, and you can change all the options on a whim. Even if you place it somewhere high up you can control it with the press of a button.
Its design is great, and it can fit into most places. The water tank might seem small, but it can still support up to 6 hours of constant misting. When the water runs out, it turns off on its own.
At this price point, this diffuser is just a great deal.
- Comes with a remote control, so you don’t need to get up to adjust it
- The design is quite compact, and it can fit almost anywhere
- Has a safety feature that turns it off when the water runs out
- You can adjust how long it will run with the timer
- Can run for a total of 6 hours if needed
- Comes at an exceptionally affordable price point
- Runs a bit too loud and produces a constant buzzing noise from the motor
- The tank seems to be a bit smaller than is indicated in the product description
URPOWER 700ml Square Aromatherapy Essential Oil DiffuserThe Largest Essential Oil Diffuser
Diffusers with huge water tanks tend to be rather unwieldy but not this one! The unique square design it has gives it a relatively low profile so it’s able to fit almost anywhere you might want to put it.
You might think that it makes a lot of noise since it’s so large – and since it has a strong stream – but it’s quieter than most, and you’ll barely hear a peep come out of it.
When the tank runs out, it turns off on its own, but it can run for a total of 20 hours so you can let it run all day or overnight if you want and don’t have to worry about it.
This diffuser shows that good design makes a large size a bonus instead of a possible hindrance.
- It has an incredibly huge tank and can run for an incredibly long time
- Automatically turns off when the tank runs out of water
- The relatively compact design makes it smaller than you’d think
- It’s incredibly quiet for a diffuser this large
- The mist spray is good and strong
- It definitely has a unique look that will stand out
- The lid is not good, and water will spill everywhere when you take it off
- There’s almost no difference between the low and high settings
Viva Naturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil DiffuserThe Best Budget Essential Oil Diffuser
This is a small and compact diffuser that runs well and quietly. It turns off on its own when it runs out of water, and it is easy to clean and use.
The price is rather affordable, and anyone can get this one as a starter. You can take it with you on trips or even use it in the car with a proper adapter due to its relatively small size.
The mist spray is decent when you consider the size and capacity, and it can cover more space than you might think.
Overall, it’s a good product for the price, and you’ll struggle to find a better one at this price.
- The price is more than affordable for everyone
- Has a feature that turns it off if it runs out of water
- Easy to take with you almost anywhere so you can even use it on trips
- Runs rather quietly compared to other products
- Using it and cleaning it is simple – there’s no hassle
- The tank is quite small, and the size is a bit too large for a tank of that capacity
- It’s hard to take the top off so refills can be a bit difficult to do
Aroma Outfitters 3D Glass Galaxy Premium Ultrasonic Essential Oil DiffusersThe Best Essential Oil Diffuser
For the price, this unit is more than decent. You’ll definitely feel it when you’re using it, and it comes with a few good pre-programmed modes.
The first thing you’ll notice about this diffuser is the amazing look it has – it looks like a glass globe filled with stars! It’s definitely a unique design that you won’t encounter that often.
It’s mostly made out of glass with a tank constructed from medical-grade plastic. Breaking it is easy, but you are covered with a good warranty from the company so you should be safe.
The tank is not huge – only 200ml – but the diffuser can run for quite a while, up to 8 hours. You won’t have to refill it that often. You can adjust it to your liking as well and turn off the lights – though you probably won’t want to.
- It has an amazing and unique look that can enrich any room
- You can easily get a replacement from the company, and it comes with a good warranty
- Durable and works well, doesn’t clog
- Can run for a total of 6 to 8 hours even though the tank is only 200ml
- You can adjust it to your liking and turn off the lights if needed
- The price is definitely higher than it needs to be
- Easy to break if you’re not extremely careful around it
PUSEAYZ Glass Essential Oil Diffuser 100ml The Best Essential Oil Diffuser for Concentration
Unlike most glass essential oil diffusers, this one is not easy to break. The glass dome is thick and durable so it can fall a few times without shattering completely.
The look it offers is quite amazing, especially in the dark with the lights working – you won’t find this just anywhere. You can turn the lights off if you don’t like them or they’re stopping you from sleeping.
It runs rather quietly, and it can turn off when you want it to with the highly adjustable timer that’s built-in.
While it is small, it can work well even for some larger rooms though you will need to refill it from time to time.
- It’s got a beautiful aesthetic with multicolored lights that you can cycle through automatically
- Even though it’s made out of glass, it won’t break easily, and it can take a few falls
- The stream it shoots out is strong and spreads well
- You can set it to work on a timer from 0.5 hours to 3 hours
- Runs quietly and doesn’t clog at all
- The tank is quite small and needs to be refilled quite often
- It’s difficult to put the lid back on, and it won’t snap into place
Your Complete Essential Oil Diffuser Buying Guide
Since essential oils are so popular, there are a lot of different diffusers on the market right now, and most of them are no good at all. How to separate the wheat from the chaff? Well, that’s what I’m going to talk about right now, so stick with me!
1Is it Your Type?
Due to the various ways in which diffusion can be achieved there are many different essential oil diffuser variations out there. You’ve probably heard of some, but there are probably as many that you know nothing about.
So, how to figure out which ones the best one for you?
Well, by going through the pros and cons of each and comparing them to each other until you figure out what suits your needs the best!
Here I’ll help you out with that by explaining some of the most popular types of essential oil diffusers and giving you the honest truth about their benefits and downsides.
These diffusers work by dispersing a pure, concentrated stream of essential oils into the air. They use no heat or water and instead break down the oils by force, down to the atomic level – and when the molecules in the air are smaller, it’s easier for your body to absorb them.
With a diffuser like this, you get a purer form of oil in the air but at the cost of spending more oil overall. If you leave a diffuser like this running, you’ll run out of oil rather quickly. They can also be more difficult to clean due to using purer oils. They also use glass containers which are easy to break.
As the name implies, these diffusers use ultrasonic frequencies to cause vibrations in the water breaking it up into a fine mist which they release into the air. Since they use water, they also double as humidifiers. In general, they are sturdy and inexpensive, and they don’t spend a lot of oil.
Cleaning them is easier too, and they’re quite to boot. What’s the catch? Well, the form of oil that ends up in the air is usually highly diluted so the benefits are lowered and you can’t keep the diffuser running all the time.
It’s all in the name – these diffusers evaporate oils into the air. But, unlike heat-based diffusers, they use a fan to blow high-pressure air onto oils that have been dripped onto a filter, evaporating them in the process. This is faster than a heat-based diffuser would be and the scent gets quickly dispersed into the room.
However, this also means that the oils evaporate unevenly – the heavier elements of the oils evaporate slowly, while the lighter ones evaporate quickly. Because of this, the therapeutic properties may be lessened or lost, especially with thicker oils, so these diffusers are best used with thinner oils.
Heat is the traditional method of diffusing oils into the air but is it the best one? Probably not. Heating up oils changes them at the chemical level and can even eliminate the benefits of some oils. These diffusers are best used with thicker oils since they can withstand the heat. The benefit of these diffusers is that they are usually the cheapest and there’s a wide variety of them available.
There are electric ones of course, but there are also more traditional options that use candles or even incense sticks that absorb the oil and are then burned to release it. The common point of most heat diffusers is that they have a heat where the oil is placed, and that’s heated up by a heat source, thus evaporating the oil into the air. With these diffusers, you can use pure oils or oils diluted in water.
2Size Does Matter
Diffusers range from extremely small and portable to the massive and heavy. There are all kinds, but which size is the right one for you? It’s not just a matter of aesthetics but functionality as well.
The larger the tank for your container, the more oils it can diffuse without needing to be refilled. They are best suited for larger spaces since they can easily fill the air – in smaller rooms, they might oversaturate it. These will usually be around 400 to 500 ml in most diffusers that use water.
Smaller tanks are better for smaller spaces since they won’t oversaturate the air with thick mist. They might be too underpowered though. These usually run from around 100 to 200 ml.
Anything in-between the two can be used in medium-sized rooms or similar spaces. Only the diffusers with the largest tanks should be used outside. Others won’t be as effective.
The outside size also matters, and the combination of a small tank with a large casing is probably the worst thing unless you like the look of it a lot.
Before you even start considering which diffuser to buy, you should also pick a space for it in your home. Try to buy a diffuser that will leave at least two or three inches of space to either side of it, and that can spray the mist unobstructed in the spot you chose for it.
For example, if you picked a spot close to the ceiling don’t buy a diffuser that’s tall and sprays upwards.
3The Materials are Key
When you think about what a diffuser is made out of, it’s more than just a matter of whether they look good – though that’s also important! You can’t understate the relaxing qualities of looking at a good wooden finish.
But there’s more to it than just the outside – what’s on the inside counts as well! After all, it could determine how good your oil diffuser will be at performing its job.
I’ll give you an overview of some of the common materials used to construct essential oil diffusers and how they affect their functionality.
- Wood – Only a few diffusers are made mostly out of wood, but lots of them have wood finishes or wooden parts. For the most part, it’s just for looks, but some feature wooden tanks meant to slowly release their aroma into the oils. This might be good or bad depending on the wood and your preferences.
- Plastic – It’s definitely the cheapest materials available, but it’s far from the best. It can be rather flimsy and, more importantly, it can smell a lot, especially when it’s new. That smell can mix in with the oils you’re diffusing and reduce their beneficial effects or even be harmful. The off-gassing can be especially dangerous if the plastic melts, which can be a hazard with heat-based diffusers.
- Glass – One of the best things about glass is that it’s so clean, but it’s also easier to damage, and you can cut yourself on it. There are very few diffusers that are made mostly out of glass, but a lot of them have glass tanks or glass parts.
- Ceramic – Again, it’s a clean choice, just like glass but it can also be fragile. It is often used on both the outside and the inside – it looks good while also performing well and doesn’t leak into the oils at all.
- Metal – Metal can be used for making the tanks or filters in a diffuser, and that can affect it greatly. Some metals can leak into the oils and produce harmful effects. If you’re getting a diffuser with metal in it, be careful. Pick something relatively safe like titanium or stainless steel that’s not coated.
4Adjustments and Accessories
In the past, diffusers were no more than just a candle under a tray filled with oils or something akin to that. You couldn’t do much to adjust it except dripping oils at different times or extinguishing the candle.
These days, you have a much wider range of options available to you so you should make full use of them!
Modern diffusers can do tons of things – you can program them to turn on at certain times, load them with different oils to be released at different points, have them turn off automatically, set how much oil they should spend and so on.
Some even have additional functions and can work as nightlights, humidifiers, play music or soothing sounds and so on.
There’s a wide variety of additional options and adjustments that are available to you – explore them and find out what works best for you.
How to Properly Use and Maintain Your Essential Oil Diffuser
Most people think that essential oil diffusers are machines that you just fill with oils and turn on until the oils run out, refill them and keep going.
Well, you can certainly do that but it won’t result in the optimal benefits, and it will drastically shorten the lifespan of your diffuser.
Proper maintenance and use are key if you want to get the most out of your diffuser and maximize the benefits you get from your oils.
I’ll give you a few tips about how to use and take care of your diffuser. Let’s get right to it!
1How to Use an Essential Oil Diffuser
Using any essential oil diffuser is rather easy – that’s why they’re popular after all. However, there are still some things you need to watch out for.
First, choose a suitable location – near a power outlet and close to the center of the room while also being unobstructed. That’s usually the best. Don’t place the diffuser under direct sunlight. Put a towel or a placemat under it, especially on wooden surfaces.
Open it and add the water to the tank, up to the fill line. Try to use distilled water whenever possible. Hard tap water can cause a build-up in a diffuser that might block it. Make sure the water is at room temperature. Never overfill your diffuser.
Add a few drops of essential oil to the water – how much is up to you, the larger the tank, the more you can add. You probably shouldn’t add more than 10 in most cases.
Put the lid back onto the diffuser, plug it in and turn it on. You can change the settings at this point.
That’s about it!
2How to Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser
You should clean your diffuser often – at least once weekly, but it’s better if you do it every two or three days. Otherwise, oils might build up and block the diffuser or the water can grow stagnant.
For most diffusers, the cleaning process is relatively easy. You can simply clean the insides with some odorless dish soap or a similar odorless detergent. You can also run the diffuser for a few hours, outside, using a mixture of water and vinegar, if your diffuser uses vinegar.
That’s good for ultrasonic ones, but it’s a bit different for nebulizing diffusers. You should clean them with some rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth once per week. It’s also recommended to clean it whenever you’re switching oils, if possible. Once per month, you can also soak it in some hot water with detergent to make sure it’s completely clean.
Evaporative diffusers are much easier to clean since they usually don’t have any small parts. You can just take them apart, wipe them with a damp cloth and it should be fine. Doing this once per week is enough.
Heat-based diffusers can be cleaned in a wide variety of ways, depending on how they work. Wiping the parts that have oil on them with a damp cloth is usually a good enough treatment for most of them.
3Whoops, Something Broke! – Diagnosing and Fixing Your Essential Oil Diffuser
If your diffuser isn’t working properly, it’s not time to throw it out yet! The problem could be incredibly simple and easy to solve.
If the diffuser isn’t turning on at all…
- Check if it’s plugged in properly
- Check if the voltage of the power outlet fits the diffuser
- Check if the outlet is getting power
- Check if the water tank is filled to the right level
- Empty the diffuser and allow it to dry before trying to plug it in again – something inside might be wet
If the diffuser is getting power but isn’t working…
- Turn off the diffuser and unplug it, empty it, then fill it, plug it in and try turning it on again
- Remove anything near the diffuser or any towel/cloth placed below it
- Check if the fan is obstructed in any way
If the diffuser is getting too hot…
- Check if it’s overfilled with water
- Turn off the diffuser, let it cool down, then turn it on again and see if the problem repeats
- Empty it and refill it again
- Check for obstructions on the fan
If the diffuser sprays too little…
- Check if the water level is too high or too low
- Check if the fan is blocked
- Check the settings and see if they’re set on low
- Check the insides and see if there’s any residue build-up
- Clean the diffuser just in case even if you don’t see any
That should about cover the basics!
The Best Essential Oil Brands
Essential oil brands have been popping up everywhere these days, and there are just too many of them to count. Picking out the good from the bad becomes harder and harder as time goes on.
To help you in your search, here are some of the best oil brands on the market right now.
You’ve probably heard of this company since it’s one of the most popular essential oil brands around. They are a multi-level marketing company, but they have high standards and relatively affordable prices which is what makes them one of the best.
This is a company formed by former Young Living employees, and it shows since they have a similar multi-level marketing model and similar purity standards. Their products are expensive, but the quality of the oils is high and might be worth it.
Unlike a lot of essential oil brands, this one sells its products freely without requiring a membership. They don’t have internal testing, but they do have rigorous third-party testing, and you can view the results publically – you don’t have to take their word for it. Another plus is that their starter kits are relatively inexpensive.
While this is a relatively new company, they have high standards. They rotate their stock every two weeks so it’s always fresh and they refuse to dilute their oils in any way.
Brands that have a long history of good business practices, rotate their stock often, have multiple testing processes, offer the testing results publically and don’t require a membership to buy their products are usually the good ones.
Essential Oil Diffuser FAQ
When talking about office furniture and back pain, there are a few burning questions that seem to arise quite often.
So, today I’ll take the time to answer them for you!
While all of this said, there’s only one thing left unsaid – which of these products is the best essential oil diffuser?
You probably already have your own favorite but, for my money, the best one out there is the Aroma Outfitters 3D Glass Galaxy Premium Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser. It’s got decent functionality, but the look is what makes it work more than anything! It’s just so unique and vibrant, and I love it.
If you’re a more practical person you might lean towards the URPOWER 700ml Square Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser for its size or favor the Viva Naturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser for its budget-friendliness, they’re all good options.
Thank you for reading and if you have questions or thoughts, make a comment, and I’ll get to it as soon as possible!
- nccih.nih.gov (2015) Sleep Disorders: In Depth [Online] Available from: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/sleep/ataglance.htm (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Mi-Yeon C, Eun SM, Myung-Haeng H, Myeong SL (2013) Effects of Aromatherapy on the Anxiety, Vital Signs, and Sleep Quality of Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Patients in Intensive Care Units [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3588400/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Marzouk TM, El-Nemer AM, Baraka HN (2013) The effect of aromatherapy abdominal massage on alleviating menstrual pain in nursing students: a prospective randomized cross-over study [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23662151 (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Chang SY (2008) Effects of aroma hand massage on pain, state anxiety and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18753801 (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Sasannejad P, Saeedi M, Shoeibi A, Gorji A, Abbasi M, Foroughipour M. (2012) Lavender essential oil in the treatment of migraine headache: a placebo-controlled clinical trial [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22517298 (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Ayan M, Tas U, Sogut E, Suren M, Gurbuzler L, Koyuncu F. (2012) Investigating the effect of aromatherapy in patients with renal colic [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23072267 (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Ming‐Chiu O, Tsung‐Fu H, Andrew CL, Yu‐Ting L, Chia‐Ching L (2012) Pain relief assessment by aromatic essential oil massage on outpatients with primary dysmenorrhea: A randomized, double‐blind clinical trial [Online] Available from: https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1447-0756.2011.01802.x (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Edge J (2003) A pilot study addressing the effect of aromatherapy massage on mood, anxiety and relaxation in adult mental health [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12697161 (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Sánchez-Vidaña D.I., Ngai S.P.-C., He W., Chow J.K.-W., Lau B.W.-M., Tsang H.W.-H. (2017) The Effectiveness of Aromatherapy for Depressive Symptoms: A Systematic Review [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5241490/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Polly Soo XY, Beow CY, Hu CP, Swee Hua EL(2014) Essential Oils, A New Horizon in Combating Bacterial Antibiotic Resistance [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3950955/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Sabrina H, Honghoi H, B.C.J. De Silva, S.H.M.P. Wimalasena, H.N.K.S. Pathirana, Gang-Joon H (2017) Antibacterial activity of essential oil from lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) against pet turtle-borne pathogenic bacteria [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5645596/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Fereshteh B, Hajar P, Ali AS, Mohsen T, Ali AM, Hajar AR, Leyla S(2015) Antifungal Effect of Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia) and Clotrimazole on Candida albicans: An In Vitro Study [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4621348/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)
- Ané O, Sandy van V (2017) Commercial Essential Oils as Potential Antimicrobials to Treat Skin Diseases [Online] Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435909/ (Accessed Feb 28, 2021)